Readers Write
Justice system
I am writing to express appreciation for the justice delivered during the Lewis Starkey trial. It was my first time in the new courthouse and my first time at a criminal trial.
I attended because I was a friend of Lew’s father and because I am a student in the Newport MFA. The soaring architecture of the Franklin County Courthouse with the view of the Berkshire Mountains and natural light in the courtroom are inspiring and I hope bring some comfort to those going through the worst time of their lives. I appreciate the continuity with the old building but did not miss the sketchy feeling of walking the corridor lined with lawyers and their clients in the dank basement on my way to jury duty or the Registry of Deeds.
It heartens me that our justice system presumes innocent until proven guilty and that anyone, guilty as sin or poor as a church mouse, is entitled to representation. Imperfect and messy as our democracy is, I appreciate living in a civilized society that reaches for justice.
I appreciate that the process is visible to the public and that the defendant is judged by a jury of his peers. I respect the honesty of prospective jurors who admitted they believed him guilty and those 16 selected who could be impartial. I respect the process of jury selection which took almost three days and nearly 200 potential jurors. I was struck by how many had been touched by the plague of domestic abuse.
The brutality of the crime was tempered by the decency in the courtroom. I feel safer knowing a dangerous man is behind bars. My heart goes out to Amanda Glover’s family and I encourage anyone experiencing domestic abuse to ask for help and get away safely.
KAREN TRAUB
Greenfield
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.